What Can You Cook In A Pizza Oven? Food List & Recipes For You To Try
As a pizza lover, you’re probably curious about what can be cooked in your outdoor pizza oven. The answer to that question is pretty much anything! Whether it’s an appetizer, main course or dessert, cooking with a pizza oven has never been so versatile.
Here are some ideas for how to take advantage of this cool kitchen tool. This article will provide that what can you cook in a pizza oven and some tips to cook a hearty meal that’s easy to prepare in the oven!
What Can You Cook In A Pizza Oven? Foods Can Be Cooked.
Here are the 14 Best Ideas for Cooking Pizza, Flatbreads and Other Foods in a Pizza Oven.
If you want to make delicious wood-fired pizza at home, look no further than your outdoor pizza oven. This appliance is designed to cook pizzas perfectly with that characteristic smoky flavor!
Since this type of cooking heats the clay pot(s) inside the oven, it’s best to preheat them up to 300°F for at least 1 hour before baking your pies. Use your kitchen or food thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the oven; anything under 550°F is too low for perfect results.
We recommend using cornmeal on a wooden peel to ensure that your pizza slides off easily. Avoid using more cornmeal than you need because too much will keep the dough from cooking evenly.
Another great option for cooking in a pizza oven is flatbreads, which are easier to make than pizzas if you’re just getting started.
All of your favorite flavor combinations work beautifully on this type of bread; we recommend going simple with olive oil and sea salt or try something fancier like roasted garlic, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
This recipe can also be made on a griddle or even cooked directly on the rack inside a conventional oven! Now when it comes to “what can you cook in a pizza oven”, I will give this one a try.
Marinated meat skewered on toothpicks with onions and peppers, typically eaten as an appetizer in Greece.
Using some stale bread to soak up the juices, bouillon cubes for added flavor and some eggs to help them stick together, these tasty meatballs are a family favorite.
Forget about that grill. This is where you can use that back burner for extra cooking space! Rub your ribs with spices, cook them low and slow for 4 hours or more before crisping them up with some barbecue sauce.
6) ROASTED VEGETABLES
One key element in making wood-fired pizza is roasting your own vegetables. Some popular options include red onions, eggplant and squash; we recommend slicing them about 1/2 inch thick so they don’t burn too quickly during cooking.
To roast vegetables in a gas or electric oven heat it to 400°F and line the bottom of a baking pan with foil. Coat the veggies in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper before roasting for 30 minutes; turn once during that time to cook evenly.
This famous Spanish dish features rice mixed with flavorful ingredients like saffron, garlic and chicken (or seafood). While paella can be made outside as well as inside, this recipe takes longer than others because you’ll need to cook the rice in several batches.
Begin by lightly toasting uncooked long-grain rice in a pan before adding in chicken broth, chopped vegetables, Spanish paprika and saffron threads. Now what can you cook in a pizza oven also have Paella, which is really delicious.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes before adding in either raw shrimp or scallops; simmer for another 5 minutes before you’re ready to serve!
Italian risotto is made by slowly cooking arborio rice in stock with ingredients like onions, garlic and cheese. This recipe takes 20 minutes to prepare but nearly an hour of cooking time, so be sure to start it early if you want perfect results!
Saute finely chopped onion until translucent, then add the arborio rice and frequently stir over medium heat until golden brown.
Add your broth a cup at a time and frequently stir until each addition has absorbed. The risotto is done when the rice is tender but still firm in the center.
9) PORTUGUESE STEW
This delicious soup can be cooked in a handful of different ways, but we recommend grilling it in your gas or electric oven using indirect heat for about 15 minutes, so it doesn’t discolor.
You’ll also want to use aluminum foil to line the bottom of your baking pan before adding in sliced onions, garlic, chorizo sausage and kielbasa cut into 1 inch pieces.
Add red wine and chicken broth to cover ingredients, then cook for another 15 minutes or until meats are cooked through. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with crusty bread!
Chesecake is the first one I think about when saying what can you cook in a pizza oven. We’ve saved the best for last because who doesn’t love dessert?
You can make this recipe on your stovetop or in an oven preheated to 350°F; it’s also possible to bake cheesecake in a pizza oven, although it will take longer than usual.
Start by grinding graham crackers into crumbs, then mix them with melted butter and 3 tablespoons of sugar before pressing the mixture into the bottom of a springform pan.
Remember that most wood-fired ovens reach temperatures between 500°F and 700°F, so be sure to line the sides of the pan with aluminum foil before adding in ingredients like cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla extract and eggs.
Lower the temperature slightly then bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cheesecake is set; let it cool completely before serving.
This baked egg custard is easy to make in a pizza oven if you have your crust pre-cooked before adding anything else.
In the list of what can you cook in a pizza oven, Quiche is the answer for those who can’t cook well but want to have a good food with pizza oven.
12) HOW TO BAKE A CAKE
What else can you cook in a pizza oven? Have you ever think about baking a cake when asking what can you cook in a pizza oven?
This last recipe is almost too easy so that anyone can make it! Simply combine 1 cup of white sugar with 1/2 cup of softened butter to create a batter before adding 2 cups of all-purpose flour, one teaspoon of salt, 3 teaspoons of baking powder and one large egg at room temperature.
Blend together gently, then pour into a greased loaf pan that has been lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
Bake in your oven or wood-fired pizza oven preheated to 350°F for 40 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
13) HOW TO BAKE A PIE
Making a pie in your pizza oven is just as easy, so be sure to give it a try!
Start by sprinkling your countertop with flour before rolling out your pastry dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
Use this round cutout of dough to line the base and sides of a deep dish 9-inch pan before trimming off any excess dough hanging over the edge of the pan.
Combine 1 cup sugar, one tablespoon lemon juice, 2 eggs, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 4 tablespoons melted butter, then pour it into the prepared crust. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown before allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack.
When someone ask us “what else can you cook in a pizza oven”, you got the answer. Why not baking a pie? It’s great.
14) HOW TO MAKE A PIZZA
You can’t talk about what you can cook in a pizza oven without mentioning the world’s most popular food! Preparing a homemade pizza is simple but there are many tricks to making it just right.
Start by flattening dough into your desired size then char the crust by removing it from the oven for about 30 seconds before adding toppings.
Once you’ve added sauce and cheese, slide your pizza back into the wood-fired oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until bubbling hot and golden brown.
Remember that some of these recipes might take longer than usual so allow plenty of time when preparing them; also, be sure to use aluminum foil whenever possible since it doesn’t react with high heat and won’t scratch your cooking surfaces.
The pizza oven can cook lots of food, but not all. So you just have an ultimate list of food to cook in pizza oven, you know what can you cook in a pizza oven. Now it’s time to discover the opposite.
What Can’t You Cook In A Pizza Oven?
You’ve probably heard that you can cook just about anything in a pizza oven. Well, not quite! Here is a list of what not to use a pizza oven for:
- Bread Pudding – unless you have an extremely long cooking time, undercooking this dessert will result in doughy bread pudding, not very tasty.
- Bake – anything that requires you to cover the food with aluminum foil or another cover will result in a smoky flavor, so use an oven-safe dish if you wish to avoid this.
- Rice – using your deck oven as your go-to rice cooker is actually illegal in most communities! Why? Because it’s unsafe to have the heat of a brick oven nearby while cooking this delicate grain on your stove, which can create a fire hazard and burn off any seasonings you’ve added.
Now that you know what sorts of things to cook, what can you cook in a pizza oven and avoid when using an outdoor pizza oven, it’s time to get creative!
Try something new every weekend and impress all of your friends and family with your innovative cooking skills.
What Is A Pizza Oven?
A pizza oven is designed to get the temperature up to an extremely high degree, typically above 900 degrees Fahrenheit. This heat cooks your food quickly and also seals in the natural flavors of whatever you’re cooking.
Also known as a brick oven or wood-fired oven, this outdoor kitchen appliance features either bricks on the outside of the box or clay pots inside the oven.
The heat from your burners “bakes” the exterior, cooking the food in the process and creating that distinctive charred look and taste of a pizzeria pie.
Popular Types of Pizza Ovens
1) Wood-fired ovens are designed with clay pots in place. The outer chalk can absorb the maximum amount of heat, which is then transferred to the interior pots.
2) Electric pizza ovens feature a built-in heating element and don’t need to preheat for up to 25 minutes. While it takes longer than other options, this type of appliance is more versatile because it’s easy to regulate the heat level.
3) Gas pizza ovens use propane or natural gas; no electricity required! We recommend placing these devices at least 6 feet away from any combustible materials like house siding, decks or fencing.
4) Countertop pizza ovens are small appliances that get very hot but don’t typically reach the high temperatures of other options. The advantage of this product is that it can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
5) Portable pizza stones are a type of baking pad that can be placed in any conventional oven. While this option doesn’t allow you to cook the pizza while it’s still inside the stone, it can be very effective when cooking thin crust pies on top of a regular oven rack.
6) Solarstone pizza ovens use heat from ambient sunlight along with heat from your propane or natural gas burners to cook your food quickly and thoroughly. This is a good alternative for areas where no other form of power is readily available.
7) Electric/gas combo wood-fired ovens have both electric and propane burners; the product heats up much faster than other options! Keep in mind that these will require an electrical outlet nearby.
How Does A Pizza Oven Work
Wood-fired ovens are typically small enough to fit on your back patio, deck or inside the garage. They’re manufactured in various shapes and sizes, but all work according to the same principle: hot air is heated up within the oven, then circulated around the pizza (or other food) you’re cooking. This results in evenly cooked food time after time!
The main principle of a wood-fired oven is very simple. A fire is lit in the back, side or center and heats up the inner dome to create optimum cooking temperatures that will last long after the flame dies out!
An Authentic Oven was designed with an even distribution between 300 -400 degrees c for hours on end so you can start cooking at any stage; all we ask now it just relax while your food cooks itself.
Guide To Cooking Temperatures
The key when cooking different foods in your oven is to adjust the temperature accordingly. While it’s important for a crispy base, baking and roasting need lower temperatures with longer cooking times than pizzas do because they brown on top more quickly while still retaining their moisture inside.
When cooking with your pizza oven, it requires a high temperature for achieving crispy bases, but lower temperatures and longer cooking times are needed if you want other types of foods.
Here’s a quick guide to oven temperatures and cooking methods. You can use this table if you want to try one of your favorite recipes in the wood fired pizza oven, but don’t forget that it may need a different treatment than other food at higher temperatures!
Well, did you know that is just the start of what you can cook in a wood fired pizza oven? There are so many different options and recipes available, both in terms of the style of cooking and the food you can create.
The amazing thing about wood fired pizza ovens is just how versatile they are. Just like with your regular oven in your kitchen, you can pretty much cook anything you like – all you need is the right tools and to find the right temperature.
If you make the most of each temperature point, you can see how you can keep cooking all day long! Pizza for lunch? Ribs for dinner? Why not make a day of it?
Tips For Cooking With A Pizza Oven
The last thing you want when cooking with a pizza oven is to overcook your meal, which can be difficult if you’re not used to operating this specific appliance. When coming with what can you cook in a pizza oven, you really master these tips to make it perfect.
Here are some tips on cooking a hearty meal with an outdoor pizza oven:
1) Remember that these appliances can get extremely hot – up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit or more! Always make sure people and pets are kept well away from it when it’s turned on.
2) Never place frozen pizzas inside a wood-fired oven unless they’ve been allowed to the first. The high heat could cause the juices to boil, which will create an overflow and eventually cause a fire.
3) Place your pizza on a floured pizza peel before sliding it into the oven – this will prevent sticking! The same technique can be used for other types of food like baked goods or casseroles that get unwrapped and placed directly inside the stone.
4) Place aluminum foil around any items you’re cooking that need to drip while baking; this reduces the risk of grease fires because it catches oil in a hot pan before it’s able actually to start a blaze along your oven’s exterior wall.
5) To ensure even cooking, ensure that your pizza dough is rolled out to an even size with smooth edges all around. It should rest for a few minutes before being placed inside the oven since this allows further rising to occur.
6) If you’re cooking bread or pastries that require crusting, use wholegrain flour instead of white flour. The higher gluten content in whole wheat bread will give them the crispy exterior that’s so desirable!
7) Always ensure your oven is off and cool before cleaning it with water. This preserves the lifespan of your appliance by preventing rust along with its exteriors. You can wipe down surfaces with dry cloths for further protection against damage!
8) Keep paper towels handy when using these appliances; they make excellent fire-stoppers should an accidental grease fire occur. Don’t spray anything onto flames because it could actually make things worse!
9) Use cooking utensils made specifically for ovens whenever possible. These are often resistant to heat and won’t leave black streaks along the walls of your appliance.
10) To get the most out of your pizza oven, prime it by preheating empty with all burners lit up for at least 20 minutes. This will ensure that the interior is evenly heated before you even place anything inside.
11) Keep the lid open while roasting veggies such as peppers and eggplant. Doing so will help them cook faster without overcooking by direct contact with the flame.
If you don’t want to use the entire box for one type of vegetable, try separating it into different batches and cooking each batch at a different time.
For example, halfway through cooking add another layer of veggies on top of those already in the oven while stirring the ones on the bottom around. Then rotate again just before serving!
12) The easiest way to cook bread is by cutting it into cubes and placing them inside the oven for 10-15 minutes. This method allows you to cook multiple pieces of bread at once without having to worry about over or undercooking it.
13) Pita bread is a nice alternative for people who are watching their carbs! Preheat your oven, place the pitas onto the rack, turn off the burners underneath and let them sit in there for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Can you cook burgers in a pizza oven?
Yes; you can cook a variety of meats in a pizza oven. Just ensure that they’re all pre-cooked and placed on top of aluminum foil before placing them inside the oven.
Can you slow cook in a pizza oven?
Yes; you can slow cook stews, casseroles, meatloaf and various other foods in a pizza oven. Just ensure that they’re all wrapped in aluminum foil before placing them inside the oven to prevent burning.
What’s the best thing to make in a pizza oven?
Many people enjoy making pizzas because it’s easy and tastes delicious! Other good things to try include baked goods like garlic bread or muffins.
How do you make pulled pork in a wood fired oven?
To make pulled pork in a wood fired oven, you simply mix together the ingredients and place them inside aluminum foil packets. Make sure to put holes in the top of your packet to prevent it from exploding!
Then just cook everything inside the oven for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Allow everything to cool before pulling apart with forks and serving hot!
What is the best condition to run a wood fired pizza oven?
The optimal condition for running a woodfired pizza oven is around 350-450 degrees Fahrenheit or 175-230 Celsius.
Too much heat can cause food to burn and might damage other parts of the oven so 300 degrees Fahrenheit should be avoided as much as possible.
Is there anything that won’t work in a pizza oven?
With this article, you got a detail list of what can you cook in a pizza oven. But Yes; not all food is suitable for roasting in pizza oven because they contain unique and delicate flavors that can be easily overshadowed by others. Here’s a short list of foods that work best:
• Garlic Bread
• Bread and rolls along with other baked goods like muffins, cookies, etc.
• Meats such as burgers, steaks, pork chops, chicken legs and more!
How do you control the temperature in a pizza oven?
If your oven is electric or gas-powered you’ll have to set the temperature drop accordingly. However, if it’s wood fired then there isn’t much you can do besides wait it out.
Remember that food cooks faster inside a pizza oven so check on it every 5 minutes until the desired texture is reached! Also remember this rule of thumb: the hotter your oven is, the faster your food will cook!
Can you use a pizza oven as a BBQ?
Yes; you can use a pizza oven for barbecuing meats, roast veggies and even make some baked goods. Just ensure that you place everything inside aluminum foil beforehand to prevent burning!
How do you get started with a wood fired oven?
To get started with a woodfired oven the first thing you want to do is select an appropriate location for it! Choose somewhere near your home but beware of placing it too close where kids or pets might accidentally come into contact with it.
Next, decide whether or not you’d like to have a custom-built one or purchase a prefabricated one from your local hardware store.
If you choose to build yourself then here are some ideas on what size and color would fit best in your backyard:
• Small ovens (4-6 feet tall) are best suited for apartment balconies or smaller backyards
• Large ovens (8-10 feet tall) are perfect for bigger patios, backyard patios or commercial use.
What is the advantage of a pizza oven?
A wood fired pizza oven is advantageous because not only does it cook food faster than standard ovens but it also maintains a more even heat so there’s little to no chance of burning your food!
How long can you leave a wood fired oven on?
The average time for keeping a woodfired oven on is around 2 hours. However, this depends largely upon the size of your pizza oven and how much fuel you put into it.
Better yet, look for an outdoor-rated extension cord that will help reduce the risk of damage from prolonged use!
Is wood fired pizza healthier?
A woodfired pizza oven is definitely healthier than a standard electric or gas-powered oven because it doesn’t include any hazardous chemicals that might compromise the food’s taste and flavor.
Are pizza ovens bad for you?
No; pizza ovens aren’t bad for you if used responsibly and without any obstructions. They are, however, considered dangerous when placed near homes or next to buildings with lots of vegetation.
For example, placing an oven inside a garage would be extremely hazardous to your health because things like oil leaks can easily trigger a fire hazard!
Conclusion on What Can You Cook In A Pizza Oven
The best thing about owning a pizza oven is that it allows you to cook almost anything that you can think of, including all sorts of vegetables and meats!
With just the right amount of moisture, heat, and time, your food will come out perfectly every single time with no fuss whatsoever.
The secret is in mastering high-temperature cooking techniques like grilling or roasting which produce delicious results without requiring hours of tending over an open flame.
Sof if you are going to find out what can you cook in a pizza oven, we hope this article was helpful. We want to thank everyone who read and shared it!
Now that we know more about what can you cook in a pizza oven (and how), the only thing left is for us to get cooking! Share your favorite recipes or tips in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you.
Helpful Related Post: Ultimate Guide On How To Keep Pizza Warm In Oven