Get tips for how to cook the Perfect Pizza on a Big Green Egg, including what temperature to cook the pizza at and what type of pizza stone to use.
Checkout this video:
Introduction: Why a Big Green Egg?
A Big Green Egg is a ceramic kamado-style cooker that can reach extremely high temperatures, making it perfect for cooking pizza. The Big Green Egg also has a very efficient design, meaning that it uses less fuel than other types of cookers.
In this guide, we will show you how to cook the perfect pizza on a Big Green Egg. We will also give you some tips on how to choose the right pizza dough and toppings.
The Perfect Pizza Dough Recipe
There are a lot of ways to make pizza dough but this is the perfect recipe for a delicious, crispy crust that will hold up to all your favorite toppings. Whether you’re making a simple Margherita or a loaded pie, this dough will give you the perfect base every time.
-1 packet active dry yeast
-1 cup warm water
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
-1 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the yeast, water and olive oil. Let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is activated.
2. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and stir until well combined. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together in a ball.
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
5. Once it’s doubled in size, turn out the dough onto your work surface and shape into a 12-inch round. Place on a greased pizza pan or stone and let rest for 10 minutes while you preheat your oven to 500 degrees F (or as hot as it will go).
6. Top with your favorite sauce and toppings and bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden brown and cooked through
The Perfect Pizza Sauce Recipe
The perfect pizza sauce should be thick, flavorful, and not too acidic. This easy recipe hits all the right notes, and can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
The Perfect Pizza Toppings
Toppings are personal preference, but there are a few classic combinations that are always popular. A basic Margherita pizza is simply tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and Fresh basil leaves. For a heartier pie, try topping your pizza with sausage, peppers, and onions. Or go for a fun and unusual combination like BBQ chicken with cilantro and red onion. The possibilities are endless!
No matter what toppings you choose, be sure to use fresh ingredients for the best flavor. And don’t forget the most important ingredient of all: love!
Assembling Your Pizza
-One 18” or larger pizza stone or steel
-One pizza peel
-One large cutting board
-One small bowl of cornmeal
Ingredients: 10”-12” pizza, feeding 2-3 people
-1/2 cup pizza sauce
-1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
-3/4 cup pepperoni slices
-(Optional) 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
-(Optional) any other favorite pizza toppings such as olives, onions, peppers, sausage, mushrooms, etc.
Instructions: 1) Prepare your Big Green Egg for baking pizza. For a charcoal grill, set up a two-zone fire by banking coals on one side of the grill. For a gas grill, preheat half of the burners to high and the other half to low. The temperature inside the grill should be around 500°F. 2) Place your pizza stone or steel on the grate and let it preheat for 20-30 minutes. 3) Meanwhile, assemble your pizza toppings on a large cutting board. 4) Once the stone or steel is hot enough, dust your pizza peel with cornmeal and then stretch or roll out your dough into a 10”-12” circle. 5) Transfer the dough to the peel and then top with sauce, cheese and pepperoni (and any other desired toppings). 6) Carefully transfer the pizza from the peel to the stone or steel and close the lid of the grill. 7) Bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. 8) Use the peel to transfer the cooked pizza to a large cutting board or serving platter. Slice into pieces and enjoy!
Cooking Your Pizza
No matter what type of pizza you’re making, there are a few things you need to keep in mind in order to cook it perfectly on a Big Green Egg. Here are our top tips:
1. Preheat your Egg to 500-550 degrees Fahrenheit You want it nice and hot so that your pizza cooks quickly and evenly.
2. Use a pizza stone or Baking Steel to cook your pizza. This will help to conduct heat and prevent sticking.
3. If you’re using a store-bought crust, make sure to pre-bake it for a few minutes before adding your toppings. This will help to prevent the crust from getting soggy.
4. Add your toppings and bake the pizza for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
5. Let the pizza rest for a few minutes before slicing into it so that all of the flavors can meld together. Enjoy!
Tips for the Perfect Pizza
Pizza night is always a hit in our house, and we love making our own pizzas at home. If you have a Big Green Egg, you can make the perfect pizza right in your own backyard! Here are our tips for the perfect pizza:
1. Start with a good quality pizza dough. You can find this at your local grocery store or make your own.
2. Preheat your Big Green Egg to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface.
4. Transfer the dough to a pizza peel that has been dusted with cornmeal.
5. Add your favorite toppings and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
FAQs about Pizza on a Big Green Egg
You may have heard of the Big Green Egg before, but you may not know exactly what it is or how it can help you make the perfect pizza. The Big Green Egg is a type of ceramic cooker that can be used for grilling, smoking, and baking. It is a popular choice for cooking pizza because it can reach very high temperatures and cook the pizza evenly.
If you are thinking about making pizza on a Big Green Egg, there are a few things you should know first. Check out our FAQs below to learn more.
What are the benefits of cooking pizza on a Big Green Egg?
There are several benefits to cooking pizza on a BigGreen Egg. First, the Big Green Egg can reach very high temperatures, which is necessary for cooking a perfect pizza. Second, the ceramic cooker cooks the pizza evenly, so you don’t have to worry about any hotspots on your pizza stone. Finally, the Big Green Egg is easy to use and clean up is a breeze.
What kind of pizzas can I make on a Big Green Egg?
You can make any type of pizza on a BigGreen Egg, including Neapolitan-style pizzas, New York-style pizzas, Chicago-style pizzas, and more.
How do I cook a pizza on a Big Green Egg?
Cooking a pizza on a BigGreen Egg is pretty simple. First, preheat your egg to about 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, prepare your dough and toppings. Next, place your dough on a baking peel and top with your favorite toppings. Finally, slide your pizza onto the baking stone and cook for about 2-3 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
After trying all of these techniques, we’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to cook a pizza on a Big Green Egg is by using the inverted plate method. This method allows you to cook the pizza for a shorter amount of time, which prevents the cheese from overcooking and the crust from getting too crispy. It also allows you to use a higher heat, which gives the pizza a nice char flavor.
If you’re looking to get the most out of your Big Green Egg when cooking pizza, check out this guide for tips on how to cook the perfect pizza. From choosing the right pizza dough to prepping your BGE for cooking, this guide will have you cooking like a pro in no time.